Crosman 2250B

On these hot, summer days in the desert, shooting outdoors is problematic for me. This summer, I decided to set up an indoor air pistol range in my home and keep my shooting skills sharp until cooler weather returns. Much to my chagrin, I found that my 60 year-old arms were no longer capable of cocking my HW70A air pistol. CO2 seemed like a good alternative, so I scoured the Web looking for the right pistol.

On Pyramydair (www.pyramydair.com ), I discovered the Crosman 2240 and also happened upon the shoulder-stocked version known as the 2250B. I was a mouse click away from ordering one when I decided to go to the Crosman site (www.crosman.com) for info on their replacement steel receiver (sorry, Pyramydair, but I did buy my Beeman R7 from you). Whilst there, I unearthed the portion entitled, "Build Your Own Airgun." Well, that's just what I did.

Admittedly, I didn't need much in the way of customization. Customization doesn't have to mean fancy or outrageously expensive. In my case, the only custom touches were an 18" .22 cal barrel, a blue trigger shoe and the moniker "Gunfella" laser-engraved on the starboard (right-hand, when viewed from the rear, for those unfamiliar with nautical jargon) side of the receiver. I actually saved the expense of front/rear sights, since I already had a Bushnell Trophy red dot sight to mount on it (I traded the recalcitrant HW70A to my amigo Mike for it). The confirmation email told me to expect a wait of 15 days for it to be built. In reality, I had it here 8 days later. Total cost was $95.43 (shipping included).

Then came the second stage of customization. The first thing I noticed was the 16" length of pull. As mentioned in other articles, I prefer a 12.5" length of pull due to my horizontal shooting position. My buddy Mike came to the rescue. About 4" of the skeleton stock were removed. With the help of a dowel, some epoxy and a long screw, the butt plate was reattached yielding a good length of pull. Angles and tapers being the way they are, the mismatched pieces were not exactly "flowing." Mike took the renovated stock home with him and proceeded to work some magic on it. He used an epoxy compound to smooth the mismatched stock pieces and build up the cheek piece to a level that worked for me.).

Next, it was time to mount the Bushnell Trophy. I bought a B-Square 3/8"-dovetail scope base. Unfortunately, either the mount or the groove on the receiver was not really 3/8". Mike used an Originalâ„¢ Locking Sheet Metal Tool by Vise-Grip to bring the B-Square clamp into agreement with the Crosman receiver.

The result is a custom-fitted little unit that works well for me because it was made to fit me. Unfortunately, the indoor range idea still has some bugs to be ironed out. Even after being flattened in the pellet trap, some pellets ricocheted back about halfway to the shooter.

Comments (Comment Moderation is enabled. Your comment will not appear until approved.)
RelodingZone Home | Links | About ReloadingZone | Contact Us | Support Reloading Zone


Arizona Website Development by: OSEKmedia.com.
Powered by: blogcfc 5.9.002.